***This is extremely lemony.***
I came up with the recipe when I was 18. I had a few chicken breasts, some lemon pepper seasoning, a few lemons, and vegetable oil. I have adjusted the recipe throughout the years. It is one of my favorite meals because I truly love the bold flavor that this dish eminates.
- 1 Chicken Breast per person
- 1/2 Lemon per breast
- Lemon Zest (zest each lemon that you plan on using. This is a great way to get rid of unwanted lemons.)
- Lemon Juice (from each lemon that you plan on using)
- Lemon Pepper
- Olive Oil
I always do the following before anything else.
- Zest each lemon. Place zest in bowl and set to the side.
- Juice each lemon. Place in bowl or container and set to the side.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet to medium.
- Season chicken liberally with lemon pepper (on one side only. This side will go down in pan and you will then season the other side.)
- Add a pinch of zest onto each chicken breast.
- Add a pinch of salt if desired.
- Place chicken seasoned side down into the hot pan and season the side up with a pinch of lemon zest, a pinch of salt, and a liberal amount of lemon pepper.
- Pour half of the lemon juice onto each breast.
- Add the remainder of the zest to the pan but not onto the chicken breasts.***The juice may begin to burn and the chicken will brown if this happens. This creates an amazingly zesty flavor.***
- Cook for about 6-7 minutes on the first side.
- Turn breast and pour the rest of the lemon juice over each breast. Cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Then Serve.
***At STEP 9 I always check the temperature to make sure the chicken has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit.***
******If at any point in time the pan seems to get dried out just add more olive oil. I never put it on the breasts directly but I am liberal with the oil.******
I like to serve this recipe over Garden Veggie Cous Cous!