We love poached eggs. This is a very energizing breakfast meal. It took me a while to perfect my eggs and I have a pretty fool-proof method of cooking them. There is no need to add anything to the boiling water. I was told “Add salt, Add vinegar, ect..”
THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
- Large Soup Pot
- Hand Held Strainer
- Slotted Spoon
- Cereal/Soup Bowl
- Large Thermometer (for water)
I set up by placing my bowl on a cutting board. Place strainer over bowl. Set ramekins out (one per egg). Set 2 napkins on the cutting board. One napkin to set the eggs on and one to soak up the water from the top of the eggs. Fill the large pot 3/4 full with water and place the thermometer in the water. Heat on High until boiling. Allow to reach about 160 degrees and then reduce the heat to a Hard Simmer. When the water reaches 180 degrees take the thermometer out and you are ready to begin.
- Eggs (depends on how many people)
- Spinach (2 cups uncooked per person)
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Hot Sauce (optional)
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1tbsp Butter per person
Your egg poaching station is set up so we can begin. **Heat a sauté pan on medium for the Spinach)
- Crack first egg into strainer that is over the bowl. Crack one egg per ramekin. ***The strainer will help place the egg into the water and drain excess egg white.***
- Stir simmering water vigorously and dip the strainer with egg into the water. Hold it submerged in strainer for a count of “1,2,3” then dump the egg from the strainer.
- Place strainer back in bowl and pour an egg from a ramekin into strainer. ***I only like 2 eggs cooking at once but what ever you are comfortable with is fine.***
- The egg will take about 3-4 minutes in order to have a runny yolk. Please check it often by gently moving it around with your slotted spoon.
- When the egg is done to your liking. (runny, not runny, ect….) use the slotted spoon and remove the egg from the water and place on the napkin. Place the second napkin on top of egg to soak up excess water. *****DO NOT MASH this will break the yolk.*****
- Add 1tbsp of butter to hot sauté pan and the spinach. ** you can use olive oil in place of butter**
- Cook until wilted.
- Place Spinach in bowl.
- Place eggs on top.
- Add some tomato and onion (to your liking)
- Salt and pepper (personal preference)
- Add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce and some red pepper flakes. **It is optional but very tasty!