This is a super easy dish. I used to love when my mom would make BBQ chicken in the oven. This meal definitely takes me back. It was enjoyable being able to add a little of my own take to it. This BBQ chicken is taken to the next level by adding some veggies and other embellishments!
- *Gunpowder Seasoning (this is made by one of our local grocery stores The Star Market. The flavor is that of a grilled steak.)
- Granulated Garlic
- Onion Powder
- Chili Powder
Mix 1/4 tsp of each seasoning together and set to the side.
*You may not be able to find the gunpowder seasoning where you live. In this case, you can use any of your favorite seasonings. I added a link to the store and to a forum where someone has come up with a clone recipe for the seasoning.
- 4-5 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Medium Tomatoes Diced
- 2 Cups Shredded Colby and Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce (separated into 1/4 cup portions)
- 2 Bell Peppers Diced (any colors)
- 1/2 Red Onion Diced
- 1 Can of Black Beans Rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Drizzle the Chicken breasts with olive oil and season the meat with a little salt and pepper. Then, cover both sides of the chicken breasts with the rub.
- Coat both sides of each breast with a layer BBQ sauce. Use 1/4 cup sauce.
- Bake for about 10 minutes uncovered.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and coat the breasts with the remainder of the BBQ sauce (1/4 cup).
- Cover the coated breasts with 2 cups of shredded cheese. Add the diced peppers, onion, tomatoes and black beans.
- Bake an additional 10-15 minutes. The chicken is done at 165 degrees. I personally pull mine at 155-160 degrees. I usually use a meat thermometer with chicken.
We usually pair this with Yellow Saffron Rice.
This was truly a fun dish.