We love cooking chicken this way. There is something about the presentation of the final product!. The hardest part about this recipe is running the smoker and here are our basic instructions for how we smoke food.
*Use about 1 tbsp of each.
- *Six Pepper Blend
- *Onion Powder
- *Garlic Powder (or Granulated Garlic)
**Add 1 ts pink Himalayan Salt (or sea salt)
The seasoning is the fun part so play with it. Use your favorite blends and season to taste. Add some Cayenne and kick the spice up a bit!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 4-6 lb Chicken
- Seasoning blend (rub)
- 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
- A pair of strong metal cooking shears
- Clean out the bird.
- We are going to cut out the spine of the chicken. This can seem intimidating but is really easy. Using a strong pair of metal shears carefully cut down one side of the spine. Then cut down the other side of the spine. This will allow you to remove the whole spine and open up the chicken to lay it flat.
- Lay the chicken breast side up on a flat surface. Then Place your hand palm-side down on the breasts. Press down firmly until you hear the bones break this will make the bird lay flat and cook evenly.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and coat the chicken with your seasoning blend or rub.
- Place on a smoker that is about 285 degrees Fahrenheit until the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. This will take about 3 1/2 – 4 hours. It is best to rotate midway through cooking.
- Pull it off to let it rest and cool.
The chicken photographed here was shredded and used in our Creamy Smoked Chicken Poblano Soup.