This is one of my absolute favorite soups. Of course, you don’t have to use the Mexican corn bread in it but it is really a great combination! If you are looking for a tasty recipe that you can incorporate leftover chicken in, then this is a great option. You don’t have to use smoked chicken it can be store-bought rotisserie chicken or even boiled chicken breasts.
- 1-2 Ears of corn (husk on or off)
- 1-2lb Shredded Chicken (we always use leftovers)
- 2 (32oz) Containers of Chicken Broth
- 16 oz Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 medium Pablanos fire roasted and diced (devein and remove the seeds)
- 1/4 Red Onion diced
- 2 cups of Shredded Mild Cheddar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese (cheddar)
- Shred your chicken and set to the side.
- Soak the corn in water for about an hour, we use our sink, this will help the corn to steam itself on the grill.
- Grill the corn in the husk (or straight on the grill just keep an eye on it) for 20-40 minutes.
- If you do use corn in the husk then take it off of the grill and peel the husk off. Then put it back on the grill and allow the corn to char slightly.
- While you are cooking the corn on the grill add your washed pablano peppers and cook until the skin is charred.
- Peel the burned skin from the peppers and then dice.
- Cut the corn from the ears.
- Heat a large soup pot on medium high. Add the chicken, broth, cream, peppers, corn, onion, and cheese.
- Bring to a slight boil. Cover and reduce heat. Allow the soup to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with a pinch of cilantro, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.
***Salt and pepper to your taste. I personally like my sodium while Josh really tries to watch his intake.***
We like to spoon this soup over our Mexican Corn Bread!***Recipe Coming Soon!***