Our children love dessert (what child doesn’t!) but one of our daughters prefer a fruit dessert over anything else. We always play and experiment with different ideas and this was our latest! I personally don’t care much for blueberries but all of our children love them:)
- 3 cups Fresh Blueberries washed (reserve 1 cup and set to the side)
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- Store bought Shortcakes
- 2 tbsp Flour (I mix this with about 1/4 cup water before adding to fruit)
- Dash of Cinnamon Sugar
- Whipped Topping
- Bring water and sugar to a boil and mix completely.
- Add your berries, lemon juice, and zest. Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Let simmer for about 5 minutes and then add your flour mix to help thicken.
- Let simmer for about 15-20 minutes longer. Watch this mix you don’t want it to boil over!
- Let sauce stand until it is luke warm. You can speed this process up by placing your pan in a safe spot in the freezer for about 20 minutes or so.
- Use the 1 cup of reserved berries to put on top of the shortcake.
- Cover each shortcake with a heaping spoonful of sauce.
- Top with our homemade whipped topping.
**Kid touch: Vanilla cupcake flavored goldfish crumbs**