I love to play with vegetables and zucchini is one of the easiest to use. I find it takes on flavor very well.
- 4-6 Medium Zucchinis (thinly sliced longways)
- 1 Onion Diced
- 14 oz Tomato Puree
- 2 tbsp Chopped Basil
- 1 Cup Ricotta
- 1 Cup Mozzarella
- 1 Cup Pecorino Romano
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 5 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1-3 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Heat pan on medium heat. Add Butter.
- Cook meat, onion, and garlic until the meat is done.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add tomato puree to the meat mix.
- Add basil, sugar, and vinegar.
- Cook until reduced slightly.
- Grease a 13×9 baking dish.
- Make layers. Meat mix, cheeses ( I layer them individually but you can mix them together), then a layer of the sliced zucchini.
- Repeat. End with the layer of cheeses.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let cool.